Tuesday 1 February 2011

True Grit 2010 Review

True Grit


When I sat down to watch this movie I literally went in at the deep end, I hadn't seen any of the trailers or brushed up on the news or cast I was a complete on the outside looking in on this movie, maybe that is good or maybe I would of enjoyed it a lot more if I already had a few thoughts on it to start, will never know.

After I watched the movie I researched the film and saw how much anticipation this film created, it is new film from the Coen brothers and has an all star cast with the likes of Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon and making her perfect big screen debut Hailee Steinfeld . True Grit follows the story of young Mattie who is a young teen that is fixed on finding her fathers killer and soon enlist the help of an alcoholic but still go it U.S Marshall (Jeff Bridges) to help hunt down the murderer. Along the way they find help from La Boeuf where the murdering Tom Chaney is wanted in his state, that's pretty much it for the story, simple I know.

Starting off very slow and quite dull at the start I found my self looking around the room finding anything to take in to pass the time. For me 'True Grit' wasn't living up to the hype everyone hoped it would be. However there was a big turning point which seemed to grab me from my chair and suck me in, twenty five minutes in and battling through the dull and hard to believe storyline I became hooked, I wanted them to catch Tom Chaney and I could really see why there was such a hype.

Being 1 hour 20minutes long that didn't give a lot of time to sway my mind enough, with hard to believe character like the one Hailee Steinfeld portrays I failed to see how a young 14 year old girl could take control and dominate these experience U.S Marshall's and without a tear to show for it. Trying to balance the serious with witty humour Bridges does his best to create a few smiles along the way, somehow I feel this movie was hesitant in what it wanted to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment